Friday, February 17, 2012

When I grow up

I love the time honored question when you were a kid... "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Well, for me, when I was a kid, I said that I wanted to "do peoples' hair". Much to my dismay when these words popped out of my mouth in my elementary youth, it was followed by giggles and chuckles. Not just by other classmates, but by the on-looking and listening adults as well. But you know what, that's what I ended up doing. Yes, it was after a stint in college going for a major in mass communications. And by "stint" I'm talking a whole semester. HA. However, in your face nay-sayers I did what I said I was going to do.
But I digress, because currently I no longer am a licensed barber, I am now a restaurant manager. Now, I know I just totally launched an in your face for something that I currently don't have as a career. This in all actuality is not my point, my point is I am 30 years old and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I do know one thing, well maybe more than one thing... I know that I really love photography, I still enjoy writing and by doing this blog I get to dabble in that again. I have suddenly learned that after years of fighting it, I am crafty, and I really like it! I actually want a table to do crafts on. (Somewhere my sister is laughing an evil laugh because I am guilty of giving her shit for being so damn crafty). I love to cook, I am eating healthier and actually enjoying the healthy food that I am eating. I am creative dammit!!
Bottom line, it may have taken me 30 years to realize a few of these things, but so what?! I am finally finding out what makes me happy, and I think that is my answer as an adult.
Shannon what do you want to be when you grow up? ....Happy.
Today I manage a restaurant in Chicago, maybe tomorrow I am herding sheep in Australia, maybe in June for my birthday I shave my head and decide to join a strange tribe in some far off country in Africa. Or I pack up, move home and find a job in good 'ole Springfield Missouri again. If one or all of these things are what makes me happy then I guess I found what I want to be when I grow up.

1 comment:

  1. Evil laugh here I come! Fun blog. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete