Sunday, March 4, 2012

My that collection is....interesting

Collecting. How does this start? What makes you go, "Yes I need many items of the same thing to display." I have collected a lot of things. When I was little my room was filled with clowns, creepy now to me, but at the time cute, kiddie and fun. A little older, I was a tom boy, I got into basketball, therefore I started collecting basketball cards. I had tons of basketball cards, a few of which I wish I had to this day. However, now I think the NBA is a complete load of money-hungry jack offs that need a reality bitch-slap to the face! It's not fun to watch anymore, it's all about endorsements, money and all this other shit that has nothing to do with playing the actual sport. Sorry, I could write a whole other blog about that one topic, so anyways...
My junior high-ish years, what do they call that now "tweens"?? Whatever, at this point my parents had just built a new house, so me and my sister got to do (within reason)  what we wanted as far as how our rooms would be decorated. I went with a Coca-Cola theme. I had so much Coke shit it was disgusting! I even had Coca-Cola wallpaper. I also believe that was the first year of the Coca-Cola polar bears, doubling my collection to a two-for-one! Funny isn't it, how when you start a collection and your friends and family catch wind of said collection you can now bank on every holiday that requires gifts, including your birthday, you are getting something to help you build onto your collection. I received these gifts, and am guilty of being the giver of collection gifts, ask my sister the Gone With the Wind collector! I've found that for me this is unavoidable. I no longer have a Coca-Cola collection, again grown older and moved on to something else. At this point in my life, and honestly for quite a few years now it's all Irish things that have become my collection de-jour. I believe that I have become so involved with it that I may have convinced myself I am full blooded Irish and could possibly debate how horrible the potato famine was. (did that even happen in Ireland?)
I don't have all things Irish displayed in my new home, however I am guilty of purchasing clothing with clovers on it, books of Irish history, calenders with pictures of Ireland. I love Ireland, and will someday go, and hope to maybe come back with the Irish accent, which would truly make my collection complete!
To those of you who have given me Irish gifts, I love all of them and please keep them coming. But if you come at me with a Coca-Cola trinket, a basketball card, or the dreaded clown I will warn you now, I do not accept your gift! To all collectors no matter your pleasure, keep on keepin' on!

1 comment:

  1. Teddy bears ->Gone with the Wind ->Owls. That is a big leap!

    ReplyDelete